Low-Cost Nonlawyer Options for Representing Yourself in a Florida Ancillary Summary Administration Without an Attorney

Ancillary Summary Administration is a type of probate case filed in Florida after a person dies. It generally necessary when a nonresident of Florida dies leaving real property in Florida.

As many know, there are ever-increasing numbers of people who own property in Florida but don’t live there. They’re called “snowbirds” because they fly South for the Winter to avoid the cold weather. When such a person passes away, their main estate is probated in the state where they resided when they died. 

Ancillary Summary Administration Probate  is generally used when the decedent’s assets are worth $50,000 or less. For more information, see Florida Statute S734.1025 and 734.104.  

Ancillary Summary Administration in Florida, just like regular Florida Summary Administration, has options for Summary and Formal Proceedings.

Formal proceedings require an attorney, but you can handle a Florida small estate Summary Probate proceedings independently.

Summary proceedings are a streamlined process that is much simpler than a formal process, making the assistance of an attorney less necessary.

To qualify for an Ancillary Summary Administration in Florida, the following must occur:

  • The decedent  non-resident of Florida
  • The decedent died less than two years ago
  • The decedent had a Will
  • The decedent’s assets have a gross value of no more than $50,000
  • An out-of-state court appointed a personal representative
  • the pleadings from that state probate court are available and need to be filed in a Florida probate court

Florida Probate and Estate Planning Document Assistance is one of the few leaders in non-lawyer probate & estate planning document Services for Self-Represented Individuals Statewide.

To transfer ownership of real property in Florida, all creditor claims must be satisfied or barred.

Florida Probate and Estate Planning Document Assistance can draft the appropriate probate forms and file them with the court.